About the Jagran Lakecity University
Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal is a private university established under Section 2(f) of UGC Act, 1956 and is based in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
JLU Bhopal is one of the fastest growing and one of the most awarded University of Central India having practice-based pedagogy at its core. Currently, the university is offering a 56-degree program to more than 2500 students from 8 countries and 27 states of India. The university has 27 partnerships with top industries and international universities ensuring the students get great exposure both nationally and internationally. JLU Bhopal is the only participating university from Central India ERASMUS+ programme under the Tuning India Project, funded by the European Commission and is also currently the country chair for Association of Universities of Asia Pacific (AUAP).
The University has been bestowed with several prestigious awards, such as ‘University of the Year’ by the Government of Madhya Pradesh for four consecutive years in 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2018 and is recognized as a Global League Institution in 2015 at the House of Commons, London, UK. JLU Bhopal has been ranked ‘No. 1 Private University in Madhya Pradesh’ in the year 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 by several leading publications.
About the School of Law
Ambitions define a man’s future whereas education designs his pathway towards it. At JLU School of Law, we are committed to provide world class legal education to our students, molding them into steadfast legal professionals and equipping them with skills to meet the modern challenges of the legal profession. The students are given exposure to new ideas, international perspectives, and innovative teaching in an encouraging and open academic environment. With a high-quality education bolstered by unique work experiences, our graduating students are well equipped with the skills they need to succeed in a diverse set of fields, in India and abroad.
Our primary focus is on fostering global exposure and intensive training by internalizing the core values of law and ethics. Our philosophy is that creative learning in a friendly and healthy academic atmosphere brings out the best in an individual. We have been awarded with the title of the best emerging law school of the country in the past by various renowned knowledge magazines and web portals.
APCAM (Asia Pacific Centre for Arbitration & Mediation) is an international ADR centre formed jointly by about ten arbitration and mediation centres from the Asia-Pacific countries, which host APCAM centres in their respective countries. APCAM caters the requirement of International and cross-border business disputes, and helps the business community to resolve their international commercial and business disputes by mediation or arbitration under a single set of Mediation and Arbitration Rules and with a uniform fee structure in all the member countries to minimize the hassle of adhering to different laws or fees of different institutions.
APCAM also empanels a common panel of international mediators and arbitrators, with uniform accreditation system from all the countries, which would help the parties to experience uniform high-standard practice, bringing credibility and professionalism of mediators and arbitrators. Setting the world of dispute resolution in a different path! The administration of APCAM is done by an independent Governing Board comprising of Nominee Board members from each constituent institutions, who are some of the best arbitrators, mediators or ADR professionals from the Asia-Pacific region. The Board is also supported by team of experienced lawyers, ADR professionals and academicians from diverse jurisdictions, under different Committees. The participation of such experts provides APCAM with international expertise and insight into developments in ADR practice worldwide.
Indian Institute of Arbitration & Mediation (IIAM) is one of the pioneer institutions in India, providing Institutional Alternate Dispute Resolution (ADR) services, which includes International and domestic commercial arbitration, mediation and negotiation and conducting training programs in ADR. IIAM is a non-profit organization registered in India and commenced activities in the year 2001.
The legal and ethical aspects are guided and controlled by the IIAM Advisory Board, comprising of distinguished and eminent persons from various fields, chaired by Mr. Justice M.N. Venkatachaliah, former Chief Justice of India. The IIAM Community Mediation Service is guided by the CMS Committee, chaired by Mr. Justice K.T. Thomas, former Judge, Supreme Court of India. Administration of IIAM is by the Governing Council.
IIAM is recognised by the Department of Justice, Ministry of Law and Justice, Government of India. IIAM is the first institution in India approved by the International Mediation Institution (IMI) at the Hague, Netherlands for qualifying mediators for IMI certification. IIAM is a member of the Asian Mediation Association (AMA) and the Asia Pacific Regional Arbitration Group (APRAG). IIAM is one of the founding members of Asia Pacific Centre for Arbitration & Mediation (APCAM) and the first Secretariat of APCAM, having centres in most of countries in the Asia Pacific Region.
About the Centre
The Centre for International Commercial Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution Jagran Lakecity University, Bhopal aims to establish a deliberation forum among students and professionals to understand the nuances and dynamics of the field of Alternate Dispute Resolution. The exponentially growing field of ADR requires lawyers of today’s generation to understand the needs of their client and efficacy of systems resorted outside conventional litigation.
To inculcate a certain amount of skill-set among students about to enter the dynamic world of law, the Centre regularly brings forward competitions and discussion forums with experts of the field. The focus is to bridge the gap amongst working professionals, legal experts, and students and envisage a community as a whole. With our eyes immovably set on the future, the Centre for International Commercial Arbitration and Alternate Dispute Resolution is set to explore all the dimensions related to this field of legal practice.
About the Workshop
‘Landscape of Mediation: Pathways and Pattern’ is a two-day workshop which will primarily focus upon Mediation and nuances of Negotiation. The workshop aims to draw a connection between the complexities of the procedure and the efficacy of the result it aims to attain. Mediation and Negotiation techniques are one of the most basic facets of a legal professional’s modus operandi.
The workshop will be chaired by Ms. Iram Majid, Director of IIAM and Executive Director of APCAM and Ms. Delcy Lagones de Anglim, Member APCAM & Director ADRC, Australia. This workshop is open to students, professors and professionals. Through this workshop, we aim to bring to you a single platform where intricacies of the procedure can be understood and questions surrounding this process be answered. In the span of two days, the workshop would discuss the growing trend of mediation and its importance, both for the litigant/client and the counsel. After that, various prospects related to approaching the mediation method would be brought to light.
The workshop shall also address the typical stages of mediation, required negotiation skill set on the part of the counsel, principles involved and shall also include a role play of the session to better acquaint the participants with the methodology. We look forward to engaging in exhaustive legal dialogue revolving around this process, and to equip the upcoming generation of lawyers to better deliver in the field.
About the Speaker
- Ms. Iram Majid is an IMI certified mediator, APCAM International certified Mediator and Arbitrator and Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, London UK and a lawyer based in New Delhi, India. She is the Director of Indian Institute of Arbitration and Mediation (IIAM) and the Executive Director of Asia Pacific Centre for Arbitration and Mediation (APCAM). She has undergone training in mediation from many reputable institutions, including Advance Mediation Programme on Negotiation in Harvard Law School, widely considered as the best legal education institution in the world, and Pepperdine University, California. She is a Co-founder and Secretary General of International Federation of Mediators in France. Ms. Majid has been empanelled with various institutions as a mediator since 2009, like in court annexed mediation centre – ‘Samadhan’, the Mediation and Conciliation Centre of the Delhi High Court, Indian Institute of Arbitration and Mediation, arbitrator with Thailand Arbitration Centre, arbitrator with Delhi International Arbitration Centre. She is also a Mediator with WIPO. She has adjudged in ICC mediation, Paris and other variants. She is heading IIAM-Delhi Mediation and Arbitration Centre at New Delhi. Ms. Majid has won BIAMAC top 10 mediators in Asia-Pacific Awards in 2019. She has participated in various seminars as a delegate and speaker, like Hong Kong, South Korea, Indonesia, Bangladesh, UAE, France, United States of America, United Kingdom, Tanzania, Morocco, etc. She is the Ambassador in International Brazil Arbitration and Mediation Centre (IBRAMAC). She is the co-author of the book ‘Definition of Mediation’ and has compiled a book ‘Landmark Judgements on Mediation and Arbitration’.
- Ms. Delcy Lagones De Anglem is a lawyer, mediator, conciliator, author and trainer, with experience in civil law, international trade law and alternative dispute resolution. She is a founding partner of the Australasian Dispute Resolution Centre, based in Canberra, Australia. She is also a member in the Asia Pacific Centre for Arbitration & Mediation. She is one of the few Mediators in Australia and the Asia-Pacific region to be certified by the International Mediation Institute (IMI) based in the Hague, recognising her breadth and depth of experience and continued excellence in practice. Ms. Delcy is a Director of the Executive Committee of the UNCITRAL National Committee for Australia. She is also a LEADR Advanced Mediator, a Certified Mediator with the International Mediation Institute, Mediator with the International India ADR Association and Convenor of the Mediation Working Group of International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Australia. As legal adviser to the Peruvian Ministry of Justice, she was instrumental in the development of compulsory conciliation legislation in Peru and was a founding member of the Mediation and Conciliation Commissions of the Lima Bar Association and founding President of the National Association of Conciliation Centres of Peru. Along with being an experienced mediator in the areas of international trade, commercial disputes and workplace matters, she is also an experienced educator, having designed and delivered training programs in Australia and overseas, and is the author of two books on mediation and conciliation. She is also articulate in English, Spanish and French, and competent in Italian. She is also a family dispute resolution practitioner in private practice and for the Legal Aid Commission of the Australian Capital Territory.
- The Workshop is open to the U.G/P.G Students, Faculty Members, Research Scholars and Professionals from the field of Law.
- Participants are requested to register by filling the google form before the deadline and attach the receipt of payment of registration fee in the registration form.
Registration Fee (non-refundable)
- For JLU Students- Rs. 350/-
- For Students of Other Institutions- Rs. 500/-
- Professionals- Rs.1000/-